[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Fri Feb 25 02:13:22 UTC 2011

I have Kingston 2Gb SODIMM 204-pin DDR3-1333Mgz PC3 10600 CL9...
probably a single DIMM.

xorg.conf section is present.

I rebooted and found Temporal 2x actually worked with no glitches.
Previously, I had just restarted GDM - maybe this wasn't sufficient?

BTW my 'test' for good HDTV playback is: watching a hockey game the
point at which the camera pans the length of the ice following the
game.  Looking for clarity of players sticks and blur.  Unfortunately,
or fortunately, this is the only thing I want to watch on TV but seems
to be very taxing for my last computer and somewhat of a challenge
still for the Zotac box.  The signal is OTA HDTV, not cable.

Anyway, back to regular scheduled programming... after a reboot I
tried the following:

Temporal 1x: good HDTV playback
http://michael.dtmc.ca/bd/mythtvlogs/vdpau_deinterlacing/temporal1.txt

Advanced 1x: ok playback but 'fuzzier' than Temporal 1x.
http://michael.dtmc.ca/bd/mythtvlogs/vdpau_deinterlacing/advanced1.txt

Temporal 2x: good, perhaps crisper than Temporal 1x
http://michael.dtmc.ca/bd/mythtvlogs/vdpau_deinterlacing/temporal2.txt

Advanced 2x: only saw about 50% of the frames
http://michael.dtmc.ca/bd/mythtvlogs/vdpau_deinterlacing/advanced2.txt

I also recalled that I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.36 recently on both
front and backend server. I did this to avoid a set of crashes which
were reported in the bug below.  This didn't exactly help, I also
locally compiled 0.24+fixes mythtv and this did the trick.
http://michael.dtmc.ca/bd/mythtvlogs/vdpau_deinterlacing/kernelversion.txt

This bug sits idle in Ubuntu which causes the backend to bail but
usually the frontend to crash and present the login screen very
consistently.
http://michael.dtmc.ca/bd/mythtvlogs/023ubuntu1010crashes/

I also suffer from this occasionally usually on startup:

BTW - thanks for the rapid response on this forum... I feel I have
made some significant strides! ;o)

Mike.