[mythtv-users] Internal HD Cards with component or HDMI inputs

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Feb 23 17:03:53 UTC 2011

On 2/23/2011 11:50, Craig Van Tassle wrote:
> I just got my DirecTv boxes upgraded for me to the HD ones with a
> Composite/LEFT/Right, Component

As mentioned by freedenizen, the HDPVR will do component, but is an
external box.  It is currently the only HD capture solution supported by
MythTV.  It is an external USB box, not internal, but there have been
users who have mounted it internal to their case.  While an external box
may not seem as 'clean', do remember that you still have an STB you have
to have sitting somewhere as well.  There are several internal cards
available, but they are all either completely unsupported in Linux, or
are using some some proprietary recording interface.

> HDMI outputs

The STB is going to output encrypted over HDMI.  Nothing you purchase
will be allowed to record off of it due to HDMI licensing terms.

> there are no Coax outputs at all. :(

This is a good thing.  The only HD RF output ever used in an STB was in
the original DirecTV units which had an ATSC modulator and haven't been
shipped in a decade.