[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend remotely via web

Wes Brown thewbman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 07:08:15 UTC 2011

Is there some way to start mythfrontend on a computer using just a web
browser?  I ask because I wrote a webOS app (
http://code.google.com/p/webmyth/) that can act a remote for a frontend once
it is started, but is limited to the frontend already be up running.  It
would be great if the app could just connect to some local cgi script that
could start up mythfrontend or something similar.

I use mythwelcome on my frontends and usually start them with an IR remote
via LIRC.  I looked at the ability to send a LIRC command, but from what I
can tell the running version of LIRC has to be specifically enabled to
accept the fake commands.  Probably a workable solution with some work, but
not ideal.

I am hoping someone has a better suggestion.  Something that would be easy
to document for other users that want to use mine or any other remote apps.

 - wes