[mythtv-users] LIRC on FC14 Mythtv .24 Both LIRC and Built In Running - Help?

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Wed Feb 23 02:33:26 UTC 2011

On 22 Feb, Michael Jones wrote:

> [...]

After I run this:
  echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
I see this:
  # cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
  rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony [lirc]

BTW, this isn't sticky and has to be repeated every time you reboot.

> Any other ideas.    It seems that the imbedded version is a little cranky so
> I'd rather use lirc until it's all ironed out.   -- Unless of course I'm
> doing something wrong with my configuration.
>
> I have the lircd.conf in the /etc/lirc directory and the .lircrc file in the
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv with a link by the same name in the /home/mythtv
> directory.   I haven't found a good resource yet on how this is supposed to
> be set up so this is just a guess from the "old methods".
>
> If I press the buttons on the remote 2x quickly, sometimes I can get it to
> work properly, but that's a pain and takes a VERY heavy toll on the WAF.

The problem is actually Fedora 14 and not MythTV 0.24.  I've been
running 0.24-fixes for quite a while and I didn't run into this issue
until I upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14.

The problem is that the version of Xorg in Fedora 14 grabs the remote as
an additional input device, just like the mouse and keyboard.  It sees
the button presses on the remote and converts them to into keystrokes
and passes them on to mythfrontend, just as it passes on keypresses on
the keyboard.  The button presses on the remote also get processed by
lircd, which also passes them on to mythfrontend.  When you press a key
on the remote, mythfrontend will get notified through both pathways,
which is why the button press takes effect twice.

If exit mythfrontend and open a terminal window, you can use the remote
to type stuff in the window, which is how I figured out what was going
on.  Actually, I found it when I was trying to debug the problem by
running irw.  I was seeing both the output from irw and the emulated
keystrokes that were being injected into the window by Xorg.

I did find a way to keep Xorg from taking input from the remote, but I
didn't write it down and it got lost in an upgrade.  By that time, I'd
found out about the echo fix and switched to that method.

The key mapping that Xorg does on the remote buttons is different than
what is done by lirc (and which is configurable with the lirc config
files), which is why disabling lirc doesn't work so well.