[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Rick ve1gn at nb.sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 22 20:50:24 UTC 2011

On 2/22/2011 3:41 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Bobby Gill<bobbygill at rogers.com>  wrote:
>> Looking at hard drives on Newegg (I'm Canadian):
>>
>> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317
>> ^^ This is a WD Green 1TB/32mb cache for $74.99
>>
>> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514
>> ^^ This is a WD Green 2TB/64MB cache for $84.99
>>
>> Admittedly I'm fairly out of the loop with hardware news and the market, but
>> is this "just the way it is" for the time or is there something else going
>> on? Is the 2TB flawed? 4/5 eggs with 830 reviews, same rating as the 1TB.
>>

> Most current SATA drives on the market are flawed. I the expectation
> is 1% to 7% of all your drives will fail each year. And the failures
> do not always have anything to do with old age or usage. Out of 100 to
> 200 drives I have at work I sent back RMAs on 6 to 8 and had 5 other
> failures last year. Most of the RMAs were from drives that were less
> than 3 years old. This year I have RMD'd 3 drives, had a DOA and 1
> more drive ready to RMA.
>
> John

I just bought 6 2tb seagate 5900 spin drives for my NAS.  One was doa
and now another one less than a month later has mounting smart errors
and says I should soon replace.  That's a 33 percent failure rate.  I
have 4 750 gb seagate drives that have been running in my other NAS that
have been running without problems for a year and a half.  I'm thinking
the larger drives are problematic.

Rick