[mythtv-users] Researching USB tuner

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:50:59 UTC 2011

On 02/22/11 09:57, jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 08:16:59PM -0500, Harry Lists wrote:
>> Question best asked to Jarod, but I know that other people may be
>> interested:
>>
>> There are patches on Jarod's site to support v1 and v2 of Kworld UB435-Q
>> HD
>> sticks:
>>

>> http://wilsonet.com/jarod/kworld-hacking/kworld-a340-20100218/kworld-340u-
>> ub435q-em28xx.patch
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://wilsonet.com/jarod/kworld-hacking/kworld-ub435-q-v2.patch
>>
>> I don't think that these patches have made it to the F14 kernel yet.  If
>> manually patch them in, does this stick work well?  I am looking for a
>> USB HD
>> tuner but, given the current state of the cable industry (i.e.: dropping
>> of
>> clear QAM channels), I don't want to spend a lot (i.e.: I'm cheap).
>

>      I dunno. I've played around with this stick a little and have found that
> I prefer the HDHR. It the HDHR seems to have better tuners. Under identical
> conditions, the HDHR is better able to scan channels and successfull record
> shows. It seems to be a superior device for broadcast. Given that you may find
> yourself in the future with no other choice than to put up an antenna, it might
> be something to consider.

I've found exactly the opposite -- the Kworld's LG demod is far and
above superior for my location (near a major airport, attic
antenna, trees) due to its better multipath rejection.  I'd
*rather* use my HDHR, but it pixelates/drops out where my LG
and Samsung demod based tuners do not.  I spent hours moving my antenna,
etc.  With the HDHR, it was like whack-a-mole.  Any position that
improved reception for channel "A" caused channel "B" to flake out,
and so on.  With the Kworld (and now the Pinnacle) it "just worked".

I recently got a Pinnacle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IPC1WE)
It seems to work as well as the Kworld, and has the advantage of
being supported without patches.  It is my lowest priority tuner,
and only records a show every few weeks.  So I don't have a lot of
data (other than 3 perfect recordings done on it.

Last, I'd watch out for the Kworld v2.  The last I heard, the v2 was
*not* supported, as it requires a fairly major driver rework.  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/457931#457931
That's why I picked up the more expensive Pinnacle.

Drew