[mythtv-users] No "Digital Audio Capabilities" in Mythtv setup

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:55:29 UTC 2011

On 22 February 2011 08:21, Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think so: first of all, I can still tab through these two entries, I
> just can't see what they are set to. Second, this screen looks the same for
> all devices. Even if Myth cannot figure out that ALSA:default is hdmi, I can
> change the device to ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 or to ALSA:iec958 (which is
> Sound Blaster Audigy2 digital out) and the screen looks exactly the same.

There's a display issue if the screen resolution is too low ; some
elements do not appear. This is fixed in trunk/0.25 or if you're using
the 0.24 from this fork:
https://github.com/jyavenard/mythtv/tree/fixes/0.24

But with ALSA;default, you usually won't be able to use digital audio.
After you press the Scan for Audio Devices button ; move the cursor to
the "Audio Output Device" tab ; and read the description. It will
contain the word "analog".

You can manually set it because you have typed manually the name of
the audio device instead of selecting it in the list: so you're now in
manual mode. You want to only use the entries automatically detected.

If you want digital audio, you must select either the
ALSA:iec958:something or the ALSA:hdmi:something ; those are the only
two type of audio devices supporting digital passthrough