[mythtv-users] Surround sound issues w/ digital passthrough

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:59:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 20 February 2011 14:55, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, replying to myself here. I see part of it. The audio is indeed 2
>> channel AC3, not 6 channel. Regardless I would expect it to pass
>> through even if there's not much difference between passing it through
>> and decoding to 2 channel PCM. Playing another recording with 6
>> channel AC3 does get passed through.
>
> 2 channels audio is always decoded so you can toggle the upmixer at
> any given time (in the menu or pressing Ctrl-U)
> If it was passthrough you couldn't

Hmm... that's annoying. I know there has been a lot of work around
reducing the number of settings which in general I agree with, but...
:)

I would rather let my receiver do the upmixing. It does a pretty good
job using the Pro Logic II Movie setting.

If it's possible to toggle upmixing on the fly, why couldn't it toggle
decoding on the fly?

Richard