[mythtv-users] Fedora 14 & Hauppauge (Grey) & lirc devinput with Nova-T

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Feb 19 06:03:30 UTC 2011

On Feb 19, 2011, at 12:12 AM, Harry Orenstein wrote:

>>> ...after bypassing the "is this a Hauppauge remote?" check, of course. :)
>>>
>>> If that works fine, I'm sure we can whip something up that could go into
>>> ir-kbd-i2c upstream.
>>
>> Actually... This feature is already on tap for inclusion in the kernel:
>>
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/503791/
>>
>> That's a follow-up to a 13-part patchset Mauro posted that cleans up a
>> number of keymaps, including all the Hauppauge ones.
>
> I tried compiling an F14 kernel with a modified ir-kbd-i2c and the resulting
> module gives an "invalid module format" error when modprobe'd.  It's my first
> time trying to compile a kernel, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.  I
> tried to keep it simple by doing "rpmbuild -bp --target=$(uname -m)
> kernel.spec" followed by "make modules".  Any tips?  I figure that, based on
> your job, you might have some small experience in this area.   ;-)

Yeah, just a wee bit...

Install kernel-devel that matches your running kernel, and after doing
the bp and patching, in path/to/source/drivers/media/video/, do
'make -C /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r) M=$PWD modules'. The resulting .ko
files should work fine with your running kernel (just copy ir-kbd-i2c.ko
into /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/ and run depmod, and the updated
ir-kbd-i2c should be the one that gets loaded next time you modprobe.

Alternatively, there's this:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Overkill in this case though.

--