[mythtv-users] HVR-2250 mythtv only supports single tuner

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 22:47:31 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 2/17/11, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HVR-2250 mythtv only supports single tuner
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Date: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 3:00 PM

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Under MythTV if I try and record more than one channel concurrently, at least one of the recordings is empty/corrupted. I have successfully tested concurrent reception/playback of 2 (analog) streams by running 2 instances of mplayer, so it appears to be a wierd mythtv bug/limitation rather than hardware or driver issue.

This sounds to me like you do not have your input groups setup right.  Each encoder can do digital or analog, but the digital and analog capture devices for each must be grouped into an input group.  Thus you'd end up with an input group per encoder, and each will do either analog or digital, independent of each other.

Yes I believe I already have/had that set up correctly. I'd successfully done that before with my PCHDTV-5500 to prevent it trying to record digital and analog simultaneously.

Is there a solution to getting the HVR-2250 fully working under MythTV? Are the myth devs at least aware of this problem?

 I have been successfully using my HVR-2250 fully since about September 2010, when I bought it, and send Stephen a couple patches for minor issues in the analog side of the driver.  It has never given me a problem like you have mentioned.  I quite regularly record with analog/digital simultaneously (one on each encoder).

Good to know, thanks. It gives me confidence to keep plugging away at it. I think my box might be suffering from config cruft anyway as a result of repeated upgrades over time so I had already planned to reformat/reinstall from scratch when ubuntu 11.04 comes out. It will probably just cure itself at that time.