[mythtv-users] "This recording is currently in use by:, mythpreviewgen" niggle

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Thu Feb 17 12:54:00 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:03:23 +0000
> From: John Veness <John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] "This recording is currently in use by:
> 	mythpreviewgen" niggle
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>

> Although I agree it was a good move to put the preview generation code
> in a separate executable, this error message is a small niggle, a speed
> bump, or a "paper cut". I.e. it's not a big deal, but fixing it would be
> nice.
>
> Is there any chance to change the code such that deleting will still
> work even if a preview is being generated? For example, by sending a
> message to the preview generation process to stop generating a preview,
> or to silently wait for preview generation to finish before deleting the
> recording?

Hi John,

I occasionally end up with recordings of "blacked out" hockey games,
where I end up with 3 hours of recording of a still frame.

For some reason mythpreviewgen never seems to complete with these
recordings (it doesn't die, it just never finishes.)  mythtv refuses to
delete them.  I can kill off mythpreviewgen, but the second I go to
select the recording to delete it, myth starts it off again.   It makes
it almost impossible to delete these recordings, and is extremely
frustrating.

I normally end up deleting the recording in the filesystem, killing
mythpreviewgen, restarting mythfrontend, and then remove listing of the
recording.

While it would be nice if myth wouldn't record hours of a still frame,
or for mythpreviewgen to cope with it (choosing a frame to preview
shouldn't be that hard when they're all the same!) ...  it would be nice
if delete just worked.

Phil