[mythtv-users] How do you point to a remote folder

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Feb 17 08:46:08 UTC 2011

On 16/02/11 19:06, Nick Rout wrote:
>  >

>      > Have you tried mounting from the command line? It may give you some
>      > useful feedback
>      >
>      > mount -t cifs //possum/MusicFilms /mnt/MusicFilms
>      >
>      >> >This gives the following error message:
>      >
>      >> >mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
>     //possum/MusicFilms,
>      >
>      > missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>      >
>      > (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
>      >
>      > need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
>      >
>      > In some cases useful info is found in syslog – try dmesg | tail or so
>      >

> I think you may need to install smbfs:
>
> sudo aptitude install smbfs
>
>     This attempt to mount doesn't provide any of the security data that you
>     were trying to pass through your fstab line.  If it's a security problem
>     the response is often - probably deliberately - unhelpful.
>

> no it will usually ask for a password

Of course, if the fstab line has worked the security should be handled
automatically.

And Fedora has the cifs-utils package available:

The SMB/CIFS protocol is a standard file sharing protocol widely
deployed on Microsoft Windows machines. This package contains tools for
mounting shares on Linux using the SMB/CIFS protocol. The tools in this
package work in conjunction with support in the kernel to allow one to
mount a SMB/CIFS share onto a client and use it as if it were a standard
Linux file system.