[mythtv-users] HDMI audio: plughw:0, 7 works but hdmi:CARD=NVidia doesn't

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 05:40:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I upgraded to 24-fixes and found that hdmi:CARD=NVidia doesn't give
> me sound but plughw:0,7 does.  (I never tried hdmi:CARD=NVidia prior
> to .24)
> I didn't think it was a big deal but then I upgraded to JYA's 24-fixes
> to get TrueHD and friends going - now I see that plughw:0,7 won't
> allow me to enable those.   So it seems I must solve to get
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia working after all
>
> I've running on gentoo 2.6.37 vanilla kernel and ALSA 1.0.23.  I have
> 2 sound cards: an ECS GT220 connected to my AVR via HDMI and a Turtle
> Beach Riviera which is now unused ever since I got HDMI audio working
> with plughw:0,7 a few months back.

Hi Dave,
If you really want to get HD audio bitstreaming to work, it's probably
a good idea for you to update to the latest release of alsa. Version
1.0.24 came out very recently.  I believe that it includes updates
that enable HD audio bitstreaming support.  Also note that the gt220
doesn't officially support bitstreaming some of the highest bit rates.
 It has worked for some people but not for others, depending on the
receiver.  Take a look at the wiki page for more information:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:HDAudioPassthrough
Good luck,
-Greg