[mythtv-users] S/PDIF audio on new MythTV box

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:32:34 UTC 2011

I have recently rebuilt my MythTV frontend/backend combo replacing an
ageing PC with a newer one. The old machine had a PCI S/PDIF card with
a TOSLINK connector. This was connected to an input on my receiver
which meant that I could get digital pass-through (I think it's
called) and Dolby/DTS output from DVDs played from Mythfrontend. My
new PC has an on-board sound card which has a built-in S/PDIF socket
but this one is a coax so I've bougt a new cable and connected it to
the receiver. However, I'm not getting any sound.

The new machine and the old machine both have Realtek sound cards so
I've copied the /etc/asound.conf file from the old to the new machine.
I have set the Audio Output Device in MythTV settings to
ALSA:mixed-digital which is what it was on the old machine. And I have
checked that the gnome-alsamixer settings and sliders are the same on
both machines.

I can get sound on the new machine if I just plug in a couple of
speakers to the audio jack on the sound card and use
ALSA:front:CARD=CK804,DEV=0 as the Audio Ouput Device, but that isn't
going to give me Dolby or DTS so I really want to get the S/PDIF
connection working with digital audio.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Regards,
Phill