[mythtv-users] "Please Wait" no longer appearing when playing recordings?

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Tue Feb 15 15:25:39 UTC 2011

On 12/02/2011 23:25, John Veness wrote:
>> this is almost certainly a lockup that we're already aware of and a
>> simple fix should be committed soon. It's not playing from the bookmark which
>> is the problem but key-presses arriving before we transition to the playing
>> state. This is easily triggered if you happen to press the SELECT/PLAY buttons
>> twice by mistake or because you weren't sure that the first registered.
>
> This sounds like the problem I'm seeing, so it sounds like it will be
> fixed soon.

I can confirm that with the latest mythbuntu 0.24-fixes release I no
longer see any frontend lockups if I press any keys in the brief window
after pressing Return to start playback and the playback actually
starting - many thanks Myth devs!

But, I'm still not seeing any Please Wait message. Although playback
startup is certainly quicker than it used to be, it can still sometimes
take a few seconds for me, especially if my combined BE/FE is doing a
few other things like transcoding.

The lack of immediate feedback when pressing a key to start playback is
disconcerting, to both novice and experienced users. I'm not
particularly in love with the Please Wait screen (maybe an animated
spinner or similar would look nicer), but I would welcome it back.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T