[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 14 21:25:54 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 04:10 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> I don't know if I missed the email - but ATI's Linux support in the past has been sketchy..
> When using open source drivers, ATI's cards work better than Nvidia's.
>   When using closed source drivers, Nvidia's cards work better than
> ATI's.  Support for ATI has been improving in recent years.

Pretty sure Brian was talking about trying to use an ATI All-in-Wonder
for capture.  This won't work because the AIW isn't a digital capture
device or a hardware encoder or even a frame grabber.  I tend to think
of it as a "black-hole TV card"--AFAIU, it's designed to tune a channel
and scale and display the video into a black hole defined on the screen
(meaning it's meant for live, non-recorded (non-pausable, -rewindable)
TV.  It /can/ be used as a capture card of sorts by reading the frames
out of video card(?) memory (thus making it a /very/ convoluted design
for a frame grabber), but that's really using the wrong tool for the job.

See http://gatos.sourceforge.net/
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI/AMD

Note, also, that the problem is *not* that MythTV doesn't support ATI
AIW, but that V4L/DVB doesn't (and can't) support it (cleanly).  And,
for those who aren't keeping up with FOSS development (and who may not
recognize the importance of version number information on the Gatos
page, please check the date on the bottom of the pages.)

Mike