[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon Feb 14 20:03:58 UTC 2011

On 14 Feb 2011 at 1:47, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/13/2011 11:13 PM, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> >> They use the exact same MythTV packages, but Mythbuntu doesn't run
> >> gnome so its a lighter weight solution.
> >>
> >> A little reading: About Mythbuntu section here: http://www.mythbuntu.org/
> >> Adding to Ubuntu: http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
> > It sounds like Myth for dummies.  Perfect.  Downloading now.  Thanks.
>
> I prefer to think of it as MythTV on Ubuntu for people who don't want to
> re-invent the wheel.

Mike has it right.

I've built MythTV in about any way you can imagine. Beginning back in
the days of RedHat 9. I've compiled it from source, downloaded pre-
compiled packages for various distros, and run MythDora, KnoppMyth
and MythBuntu.

I actually prefer MythDora, but I'm using MythBuntu now just because
it's more current. Meh... blue vs red, it all works the same in the
end.

If you want to learn all the ins and outs then by all means, install
MythTV on an already installed system, and then figure out how to
make it work.

If you just want to have an excellent DVR based on MythTV, then one
of the pre-configured distros is the way to go. These just work if
you have well-behaved hardware, and practically configure themselves.

I don't want to compile or even configure much anymore, and I don't
want go off chasing drivers. I've been there, done that, and got the
T-shirt. I'll never go back, these Myth-centric distros are just too
easy.

Marvin