[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 14 06:47:50 UTC 2011

On 02/13/2011 11:13 PM, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
>> They use the exact same MythTV packages, but Mythbuntu doesn't run
>> gnome so its a lighter weight solution.
>>
>> A little reading: About Mythbuntu section here: http://www.mythbuntu.org/
>> Adding to Ubuntu: http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
> It sounds like Myth for dummies.  Perfect.  Downloading now.  Thanks.

I prefer to think of it as MythTV on Ubuntu for people who don't want to
re-invent the wheel.

Mythbuntu is just Ubuntu /already/ configured for running MythTV, by
people who spend a /great/ deal of their time following MythTV
development and interacting with the MythTV developers so they can make
informed decisions about configuration and do a good job executing the
plan so you don't have to.

If you start with Ubuntu and reconfigure it to efficiently run MythTV
and install MythTV packages, if you do a good job, you'll basically have
Mythbuntu when you're done.  If you don't do so well, you'll get to look
forward to the same learning experience that the Mythbuntu packagers
have already been through--as you're trying to track down the source of
your configuration problems that are causing your performance issues so
that you can reconfigure, again, in hopes that your installation will be
more like Mythbuntu.  :)

Mike