[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Mon Feb 14 02:07:27 UTC 2011

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Nick Rout
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:20 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Even 6GB seems excessive, but it's usually better to buy it now than later when you find they are no longer making ram for your motherboard, or only making it at an excessive price.

Maybe  12G is what a windows guy knows his setup will need, it's certainly overkill for linux (forgive the slight dig Brian).

Agreed on storage too, you never have enough, especially as Brian has mentioned kids...

I know that Linux wouldn't need as much RAM as Windows.  I hear that 4GB is usually enough for Win MCE.  I wanted 8GB (because I haven't read of anyone using FOUR extenders while simultaneously watching TV on the MCE computer), but my only options on NewEgg to fully utilize the triple channel architecture of the mobo was to go with 6 or 12... so I opted for the larger one.

The case and mobo will support two additional internal drives and two external SATA drives, so I could always upgrade later if needed.  2TB seems like a lot of hours of HD to me... if I have THAT many shows recorded without watching/deleting them, I can't imagine that I will ever really watch them.

Brian