[mythtv-users] Subtitle position

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 13 00:05:12 UTC 2011

On 02/12/2011 05:28 PM, raptor jr wrote:
> > Note, though, that we put captions and subtitles where we're told to
> put them, so the
> >captioner/subtitler is likely the one who's failing you, not MythTV.
>
> Hmm, maybe you are right. I found a program that had embedde subtitles
> for my language, but then i could add teletext, or whatever my
> subtitles are called, for another language. They were at about the
> same place. But the teletext subtitles where bigger, maybe it was on
> that i reacted and thought that they were placed wrong since i thought
> they blocked to much of the image.
>
> So now i have a new problem, the zoomlevel for subtitles dont work for
> me =) Should the zoom work for all subtitles? Or is it up to the theme
> i'm using if that options is used? I have tried zoom from 50 to 150
> and the subtitles stays the same. Or maybe i need to use a specific
> font? Now i use monospace.

I'm definitely not the expert on this matter, but I can say that there
are various different types of subtitles.  Image-based subtitles we
can't change--the actual font and words are in images so you get what
you're given.  Text-based subtitles also come in different types.  For
some (one?) of these, we allow user-specified fonts.  For others, we
have fonts hard-coded for now***.  And, the, "Subtitle text zoom
percentage," setting is used only for some subtitle/caption types--not
exactly sure which.

I'll admit it's all very confusing.

Mike

***Note, also, that I expect to have all subtitle/caption fonts that
we're /allowed/ to modify be user-specifyable by 0.25, but I don't have
the changes complete, yet.