[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:38:27 UTC 2011

> I don't know if you are involved in developing Myth,
> but I *CAN* tell you that developers can't have your attitude.

I, too, am sometimes a little disappointed with developer attitudes,
but you need to realize that the developers aren't there for us, the
users, they're there for themselves: to scratch their own itch. We
happen to benefit when their itches are our itches, but if you want a
particular feature or behavior, you pretty much need to learn to write
code yourself. In my case, I'm about the only guy in North America
that wanted more reliable ATSC EIT handling in Myth. I wasn't able to
do it myself, so it didn't get done... and likely won't, either.
That's just the way FOSS software works, and is not unique to Myth.

> If you
> want to make your product the one that users (or prospective users like
> me) prefer... listen their questions, suggestions, criticism, comments,
> and praise... and make your product EXCEED THEIR EXPECTATIONS.

Developers have only their own expectations, and they meet them. The
expectations of us non-contributors (i.e., leeches), is irrelevant.

> If your product is
> the best, the world will beat down your door, begging to PAY you for it!

Er, no. A large draw of FOSS is the first part, the "Free". Expecting
users to voluntarily pay for OSS, no matter how wonderful, is like
expecting people to voluntarily pay for the air they breathe -- not
likely. Thy way companies like RedHat make money on FOSS is selling
support not developing the product. And even then their target is
businesses, not notoriously tight-fisted end-users.

I don't like it any better than you do, but have come to accept the
reality. I use and enjoy Myth but understand that any "work" I want
done needs to be done by me.