[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Feb 12 16:33:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:31:48AM -0500, Ryan Patterson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:40 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
> <john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If I really hate Win MCE, I could buy a different tuner that is
> >> compatible with Myth.  That way, I've only lost the money spent on that
> >> one tuner card.  If I decide to try to virtualize the machine, I should
> >> be able to partition the hardware so that Linux only sees the tuners
> >> that I want it to see, correct?
> >
> > You could just buy cards that will easily work in both OSs.  Several
> > people (including me) have recommended them to you throughout this
> > thread, but you seem to keep going back to the same cards, so I'll lay
> > it out for you one more time:
> >
> > 1. Silicon Dust HD Homerun (dual tuner model) will give you 2 clear
> > QAM inputs.  If you enable multirec it can do up to 5 inputs in

    Yes. Silicon Dust products are excellent. The HDHR has excellent tuners
and the utilities that are bundled with are also very good. It is not cheapest
product it is very good. It is also widely supported. You can use it in any
OS or PVR product you like.

    I tried a cheaper tuner just out of curiosity (someone mentioned it on
the freenet channel) and I found that an HDHR works much better under identical
conditions. The HDHR just as a better tuner.

    The HDHR even seems to have a better tuner than some HDTVs.

    You can pick up an HDHR at Frys or Microcenter or from Amazon.

[deletia]

> Extra bonus: all of those tuners John suggested will work with
> mythbackend running on a virtual machine.

    The coolest thing is that the HDHR is a self contained network device
that can operate on it's own in a location separate from the PC that is
controlling it. This makes it a bit easier to optimize the location of your
antenna and tuner for best signal quality.

[deletia]