[mythtv-users] Using Gentoo ebuilds from git packaging repo

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Fri Feb 11 05:44:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> Before I go further I'd like to know how I track updates to fixes/0.24 for
> example. Do I have to emerge each version specifically? eg.
>  emerge =media-tv/mythtv-0.24_p20110122
> or does the update mechanism that gets put into /etc/portage/postsync.d do
> that for me if I leave off the date string? or is that putting a copy of
> the git tree sources into /usr/portage/distfiles or does it only update
> the packaging repo.

As Raymond said,

If you follow the instructions for the selfUpdate command, you just
run emerge --update and things will just work (tm)(r).

I update the builds every few days and eventually it will be a daily
update (if there has been changes).

0.24 builds are arch
0.25 are ~arch

You just emerge them as you would the vanilla Gentoo builds or if you
already have the vanilla Gentoo builds, you can just emerge -u world

Thanks and let us know if you have any problems!
~Rob