[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at Fiserv.com
Thu Feb 10 21:23:17 UTC 2011

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Eric Sharkey
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:43 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Reynolds, Brian
<Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> However, you can play "copy once" content on any Windows Media Center
> extender device (the official name is Extender for Windows Media
Center)
> connected to that PC via the network. Unfortunately, the list of
Windows
> Media extenders still in production has shrunk to just one product:
the
> Xbox 360. You cannot stream "copy once" content to other PCs on your
> network.

This surprises me.  TiVo's support for what it calls "Multiroom
Viewing" and "TiVo To Go" are not compatible with copy-once content.

 http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=451107

How Microsoft got approval to support this while TiVo didn't is a
mystery to me.

Eric

OK... I'm bottom-posting even though I think it's much easier to read
the other way around because I don't have to scroll all the way to the
bottom...

Eric,

TiVo doesn't "stream" the content for "multiroom viewing".  TiVo forces
you to "copy" the content to another TiVo box.  The first "copy" was
when it was recorded.  Copying it again to another TiVo box constitutes
a 2nd "copy", which is prohibited by the "copy-once" scheme.  The media
center extender isn't "copying" the content.  It is merely streaming it
from the media server and displaying it for you.  A local copy is never
created.  That's the difference.

channel changes are a breeze.  How do I accomplish controlling the menus
in the VOD content?

By the way, thanks for the thoughtful answers.