[mythtv-users] Help using Scte65Scan

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Feb 10 20:58:14 UTC 2011

 On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:54:39 +0000 (UTC), Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net>
 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got myself a HDhomerun from newegg (it was on sale)
> and am trying to get it setup.  I am attempting to follow the
> wiki here: http://mythtv.org/wiki/Scte65scan, but am running
> into some areas that I am not clear on.
>
> 1st off, I have compiled the program with the hdhomerun libraries,
> and the program runs as advertise.
>
> So, my 1st question...  As noted in the wiki:
>
> "apparently Comcast will send the same signal to multiple towns
> and configure the cable boxes to use a different table depending
> on where it is installed."
>
> This is definitely the case in my area.  However, I couldn't figure
> out which VCT_ID was the one being used.  I have a full set top box
> but the instructions from the wiki only caused my box to reboot.  I
> do know how to get in the menu system on that box -- but now where
> do I see anything that looks like VCT_ID.  So I am using the VCT_ID
> that had the most channels listed under it.
>
> Ok, on to the more important questions:
>
> The wiki states:
>
> 1.Within mythtv-setup create the tuner cards and grabbers but
> don't do the "connections" yet
> 2.run scte65scan as described below
> 3.fill the database with the results
> the starting channel to a valid channel
>

> For step one -- I have my schedule direct grabbers setup (one
> digital one analog). Step 2 works as per the wiki.  Step 3 wouldn't
> work because it would conflict with rows in the table it was trying
> to modify.  So, I removed all grabbers -- and did steps 2 & 3 first.
> Which does get the data into the two tables.  I then added the
> schedule direct grabbers.
>
> Which leds me to my next questions:  how does schedule direct link to
> the data entered in to the database via the steps from the wiki?
>

> The previous question is a result of noting the results of using the
> digital lineup from schedule direct for the connection part to the
> hdhomerun -- which is a lot of unknown schedule information for
> channels
> that do work.
>
> BTW: (I am using SVN) and the new Arclight theme is SWEET!!!!
> Especially,
> the OSD!!!
>
> So all said, I figure I can't read -- and hope someone who has done
> this
> can tell me where I am screwing this up.  Thanks
>
> Nasa

 Didn't see other responses, here are some experiences from my use of
 roughly the same.

 a) I started with no channels (delete all channels) before I imported
 the found channels from scte65scan via HDHR.  For me this seems to load
 up the multiplex table properly and then the channels go in without a
 lot of confusion.
 b) the XMLTVID is needed in the channels table(s) in order for
 SchedulesDirect to match up your found channel with their lineup data.
 Use the MythWeb interface as one way to see where the XMLTVID value is
 blank.  You can use the "Report" feature on your lineup in SchedDir to
 find the correct value.
 c) I found that under Comcast, it is a far easier and more reliable
 process to fetch the VCT_ID from the dumb little DTA boxes than from any
 of the decoder boxes.

 Not the best insights, but... HTH.