[mythtv-users] Crystal HD and .25

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:03:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Stephen Otto <sotto at emsco.com> wrote:
> >> On 2/10/2011 10:58, Stephen Otto wrote:
> >> The other option that I keep hearing little notes about is the upcoming
> > crystal HD cards. I believe that they are available in a form that would
> >> replace the wireless network card (which I don’t use) in the dell
> laptop.
> >>
> >> The Crystal HD cards are all MiniPCIe.  MiniPCI doesn't have enough
> > bandwidth.  Make sure your laptop has the right kind of slot.
> >
> > Hmmm. Good catch. It appears that my laptop has only a MiniPCI. Some of
> the
> > writings I had read incorrectly referred to the Crystal HD card as for
> the
> > older slot.
> >
> > So it is everyone's consensus that the Dell laptop cannot be made to play
> > HDPVR recordings? If so I guess it is time to move on.
>
> I've never tried this before, but since this isn't a mobile system and
> you have an available miniPCI slot, perhaps you could try one of
> these:
>
> http://www.amfeltec.com/products/minipci-to-pci-adapter.php
>
> Then you could grab an 8400GS and be good to go with VDPAU.

That is a really interesting device, and it makes used laptop motherboards
more usable for PCs, providing one could mount it in a semi clean manner.
However, I just received a response to my price inquiry and it seems that
these things are pretty dang expensive:

The price for Amfeltec Flexible MiniPCI to PCI Adapter (SKU-036-01) is
$162.42 USD.

Quantity discounts are available.

The shipping cost is $35.24 USD.

Not sure how much of a bulk discount is available but at $200 shipped a
whack, I don't think they are worth it.