[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Thu Feb 10 18:14:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what does "XvMC and libmpeg2 to be
> dropped in 0.25" really mean?  Does this mean that I will no longer be able
> to play back my MPEG2 videos (DVD and HDHR TV recordings)?  Will doing so be
> possible only with VDPAU?  To me, that seems a bit restrictive.  The
> software decode/playback seems more tolerant of data errors than VDPAU, so
> some (me) prefer it.  It would also lock everyone into a single vendor
> NVIDIA for video cards.  That doesn't seem like the open source MythTV way.
>  Hopefully, this is not what dropping libmpeg2 in 0.25 means.

No, that's not what it means.

We currently have the following options:
XV (Pure Software)
XV with LibMpeg2 (Pure Software optimized for old AMD k2 processors
with reduced quality)
XvMC (Slight Hardware Offload)
VDPAU (Hardware Offload)
OpenGL

XV with LibMpeg2 really hasn't been useful to anyone for years and
users toggle it on and get a worse looking picture and then blame myth
for being 'crappy'. It's a toggle switch that just needs to be
removed.

You'll still be able to play your dvds/whatnots in pure software
modes, just without speed hacks for processors that are 8 years old.