[mythtv-users] Crystal HD and .25

Stephen Otto sotto at emsco.com
Thu Feb 10 15:58:46 UTC 2011

My poorman's frontend is composed of a dell 5150 laptop with a fx5200 video
card in it which I run diskless. I use with XvMC and it has served me well
for a few years watching SD and even HD from firewire although the CPU fan
sounds like a hurricane. Recently I got my HDPVR up and running but as
expected, I can't watch any of the HDPVR from this frontend. So it is time
to do something. My first idea was to scrap the laptop (although it look
nice among the other electronics and is fairly low power) and buy a used
tower from ebay that has a VDPAU card or at least a PCIe slot in it. Looks
like I can get a Dell 380 for less than $100 and add in a $30 nvidia 210
card.

The other option that I keep hearing little notes about is the upcoming
crystal HD cards. I believe that they are available in a form that would
replace the wireless network card (which I don't use) in the dell laptop.

Can anyone tell me about how the development of the Crystal card is going
within Mythtv. And of course all comments, suggestions and criticism of the
above are welcome