[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Feb 9 22:01:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
> That brings up a good point.. I hear cablecards are still a mystery to most
> local offices...
> and when something goes wrong or doesn't work like you expect, who do you
> complain to that will --
>
> A: Have even the slightest clue what you're talking about.
> B: Care.
> C: Be able to do anything about it.
> D: That doesn't have their hands shackled by corporate.

You could say the same about using the firewire port on a STB, and the
answer would likely be the same: the people on this mailing list.

> Going with DRM doesn't seem like the answer and just feeds into the
> DRM-is-ok-cause-look-at-all-the-people-buying-into-it lie.

Fundamentally, CableCards don't have to be about DRM.  If the channels
are flagged as Copy-Freely, then CableCards provide conditional
access, which isn't the same as DRM.  It's only when Copy-Once or
Copy-Never content gets involved that you get into DRM territory.

Eric