[mythtv-users] Problem with Hard and Soft Padding on recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 9 20:58:03 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 03:15 PM, Richard Morton wrote:
>> More specifically, the, "Time to record before start of show (secs),"
>> setting says, "If this is the first use of this capture card in a while,
>> start recording this much early so that hard drives can spin up or
>> slow-to-init capture cards that require firmware uploads can complete before
>> the scheduled show begins," or whatever. (And, really, I the, "Time to
>> record past end of show (secs)," setting is probably more for symmetry than
>> anything else--I'm not really sure what use it could be in the context of
>> how it's actually applied.)
> What is the definition of "a while"?

Basically, if it's not currently in use, it's the first use.  I put "in
a while" in there mainly to indicate it's not just the first use after a
backend restart or anything like that.

The phrasing I used in my last message was probably easier to
understand:  "start/end of recording session padding."  It just pads the
recordings on both ends of a string of contiguous recordings for a
capture card.

Mike