[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 9 17:11:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:43:06AM -0500, Ryan Patterson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 08:38 -0500, Ryan Patterson wrote:
> >> Can you
> >> swap a different design of engine block into your car without also
> >> changing the heads and manifolds?
> >> No, all those things must match
> >> each other.
> >
> > OK.  To play along with the way-too-overstrained car analogy... You are
> > talking about trying to interchange what I would call "core components".
> > Of course the parts of the engine must match just as I would not expect
> > to be able to mix and match different versions of myth backend
> > components in a single back end.
> >
> > But on my 10 year old car, I can use today's new wheels on it.  Why?
> > Because there are interface standards in place that manufacturers of
> > today's new wheels can meet to be interoperable.
>
> But the frontend and backend of mythtv are core components.  Your

    No not really. Although that's the way it's been treated and that's
why this issue has manifested itself.

[deletia]
> Sorry I guess I jumped to the conclusion that you wanted to use MythTV
> as a PVR.  That was wrong of me.  I didn't mean to put words in your
> mouth.
>
> Now can you please explain how to use MythTV as a replacement for NFS?

    Actually, that's something I would be inclined to avoid as I am sure
others are. Using a standard protocol for storage means that I am not
limited to one particular version of the myth client for accessing stuff.
I can use any client or app that can mount or read an NFS share (or a samba
share for that matter).

    Also, mounting the NFS binaries themselves on NFS is a very handy way to
deal with upgrading multiple boxes at once. Although it doesn't solve the
problem of features or drivers being discontinued.