[mythtv-users] press a key to continue watching this channel

Ryan Patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:51:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I noticed this morning on a long news program, Morning Express with
> Robin Meade on HLNHD using TWC in Dallas, Tx
>
> After several hours the cable box popped up the message asking me to
> press any key to continue. I was watching the show time shifted about
> 2 hours but with commercial breaks I was catching up fast.
>
> Anyway I was still 45 mins behind so the channel went to black for a
> moment and then switched to showing SYFY channel and the recording
> continued.

The only time I've seen that happen is with an old cable box (ten
years ago?) that you could pre-program what shows you wanted to record
in the future.  Then when the time came it would ask you to press a
button to NOT change the channel.  This allowed the customer to
program the VCR to record at a certain time and not worry about using
an IR-blaster to change the channel on the cable box.

I don't know why a cable box would do this without being programed
that way.  Perhaps Sci-Fi channel (I can't type the new dumb name)
pays them money to switch the channel if you are not paying attention?

-Ryan