[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:35:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 03:46, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I wonder why so many other software projects don't seem to have any
> problem with this protocol compatibility between various releases and
> yet myth needs to be sooooo rigid.

Having (on other software projects) done the programming/testing for
forward/backward compatibility, I can say that depending on the
specific details, it can be a *lot* of work to provide such
compatibility, and to perform the testing of all the edge cases.
Again, depending on the specific details, you often end up with
multiple code paths (one for each version case) all of which
now have to be reviewed for any other change, and tested.  btw,
all that effort to support multiple versions tends to support only
a small subset customer base.

This project is what its developers and community make of
it through their volunteered time.  And they work on those
items that they are of highest priority to those doing the
work.

If you are volunteering to provide the coding and support and
testing for your proposed type of compatibility, I think the
community would welcome your efforts.

Gary