[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Feb 9 11:46:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 21:26 -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/8/2011 21:22, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
> MythTV automatically backs up the database before it updates the
> schema.  Should you manage to accidentally update your system to a new
> schema, you can simply revert to that backup made just minutes previous.

Hrm.  I'm not following what this has to do with my comment about Myth
never supporting but one single version of the network protocol in any
particular release.  To summarize:

There was a comment that nobody should upgrade unless there was a bug
fix or feature in a new release that they need because upgrading could
obsolete some hardware (i.e. an older, but still capable with current
feature support in a given Myth release).  I generally agree with that
sentiment, however...

My comment was that that it's impossible to leave one (say) FE in a myth
network at a version that works well for it and provides the needed
hardware support when you need to upgrade another machine in the myth
network to get hardware support for newer hardware simply because one
has to always upgrade all machines due to myth refusing any sort of
back/for-ward protocol compatibility.

If there was back/for-ward compatibility, then one could leave older
hardware on older releases where they work will and put newer hardware
on newer releases that has the support for it.

I wonder why so many other software projects don't seem to have any
problem with this protocol compatibility between various releases and
yet myth needs to be sooooo rigid.

b.