[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 02:38:33 UTC 2011

On 9 February 2011 07:52, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
> I have the same concerns...my BE/FE downstairs is a very capable machine
> which handles pretty much everything Myth throws at it without difficulty.
>  However, I have a Dell laptop upstairs which I am using as a frontend for
> the bedroom HDTV.  It has an early Intel dual-core Intel CPU, 4G of RAM,
> and an NVidia Quadro 140 video card.  While it *should* be able to do
> VDPAU, it's never been quite there (I have tried just about every tweak,
> with different VDPAU profiles (including Slim), but it stutters/hesitates,
> and eventually bogs down to the point where it's unusable).  It does fine
> with CPU++, however - as long as I'm not doing anything else CPU-intensive
> at the same time.
>
> I suppose that when 0.25 comes out I'll have to buy another small
> frontend, unless I can figure out some way to get VDPAU working on this
> machine.  Not a break-the-bank proposition, but I really don't need to be
> spending more money on hardware right now.  Oh, well.

Bob - I'm  confused. I can't actually see why the previous
thread/discussion would lead you to believe you need to upgrade your
hardware. CPU++ doesn't use XvMC (or indeed libmpeg2), so nothing has
really changed for your situation. If you are using XvMC in your
display profile, have you checked it's actually being used? I'm not
familiar with the Quadro line but generally speaking VDPAU and XvMC
support are mutually exclusive - I wouldn't expect the driver to
support XvMC.

Regards

Mark