[mythtv-users] Running Dual pcHDTV cards

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Wed Feb 9 00:10:22 UTC 2011

On 2/8/11 3:17 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2/8/2011 3:04 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>>
>> So far, both cards report good signal.
>> I've swapped RF cables (just for good measure). (no change)
>>
>> I've deleted the pcHDTV5500 from the Myth (while still plugged in)
>> and tried the 3000 alone and it still
>> has problems.
>>
>> So I'll try card swapping removal next.
>
> * I took out the other capture cards (the pcHDTV-5500 and PVR-350)
>   Then tested -- same problem. Choppy/broken Video/Sound.
>
> * I moved the pcHDTV-3000 into another slot.
>   Then tested -- same problem.
>
> In both cases, the Myth still reports > 92% signal and 3.9dB S/N
> (which if I remember right is 39dB S/N)
>
> So either the card has bit the dust somehow -- or it's something else
> maybe I'm not aware of.
>
> Does anyone know of system settings (I did setup udev to wire the 3000
> & 5500 so they end up as the same device names)
> or firmware (I haven't done anything with that) that might cause
> problems?
>
> Maybe some debug settings I can enable to further determine if the
> card has bought the farm?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -Ben

I don't know how to debug the card but I remember getting some software
with my pchdtv5500s that I used to test the card outside of mythtv. I
had to compile it. It gave some basic results on signal strength and
saving an atsc stream. I used the dtvsignal program to check the signal
strength and the getatsc program to grab a stream and save on the disk
and then used vlc to see how it played.

John