[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Tue Feb 8 05:21:15 UTC 2011

All,

Thanks to Douglas Peale for helping me with my previous problem.  My
HDHR was indeed trying to tune channels on old frequencies after my
cable provider changed the frequencies for everything.

Now things "work", but it seems like I'm doing something wrong still,
and I was hoping someone could fill me in on what I'm missing.
Whenever I have to rescan channels, it takes me 2 hours or more to get
things back to normal.  After waiting out the scan process and adding
in all the conflicting channels, I tend to undergo the following
procedure:

1.  Tune to the next low-numbered channel (e.g. 3_1)
2.  Try to figure out which real channel it is based on network logos
and the like, sometimes cheating by using a non-Myth cable box (e.g.
WCAU, the local CBS station)
3.  Look up on schedules direct's website to see what the channel
number is supposed to be (e.g. 232)
4.  Edit the channel to give it the number 232, a sensible callsign
(e.g. "CBS/WCAU"), and a sensible name (e.g. "CBS 3").

This takes forever.  Sometimes it takes me days to properly identify
some of the subtler channels.  And I have to do this over again every
time I have to re-scan for channels.  I must be missing something,
right?

I tried the procedure at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scte65scan , but I
found it mostly unhelpful.  It found scrambled cable channels and SD
versions of network channels -- exactly what I don't want.  I mainly
watch HD versions of network channels, but also enjoy the few
unscrambled cable channels I get.

Please advise, and thanks in advance!

Josh Rosenberg