[mythtv-users] Hardware configuration and capabilities of MythTV

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Feb 8 01:32:28 UTC 2011

On 2/7/2011 7:20 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> DRM allows them to control their user base. If you want to watch TV
>> on your TV as it airs, you have to buy that service. If you want to
>> watch it at a later date, that's another service. If you want to
>> watch it on another device, that's another service. If left to
>> their own devices, the users would get this capability through
>> third party software and equipment. By putting DRM on the content,
>> the cable company ensures that they get a cut.
>
> which seems to support my speculation, above.

Yup! And people allow it. Do they not realize? People are that gullible??

I'm always amazed at how DRM somehow manages to usurp common sense in favor of the "I gotta have it" mentality.

my g/f and I always disagree about TV. While TV is nice, I have lots of other things to do
to keep me busy. For me, TV is like listening to the radio.. in the backround, not really paid attention to.

She insists on being able to "watch TV" and such like it's a "need" and not a "luxury".

It's just bizarre.

(shrug)

  -Ben