[mythtv-users] Hardware configuration and capabilities of MythTV

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Feb 7 21:42:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Reynolds, Brian
<Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> Hmmm... that really blows if I wouldn't be able to watch/record the
> premium channels with either the HDHomeRun Prime or the Cable
> Box/firewire.  What's the point of the cablecard if I can't watch/record
> all the channels I paid for?

We're all in the same boat.  There is no good option.

The best you can do is something like:

  1x HD STB rental + 1x HDPVR purchase
                       +
  1x CableCard rental + 1x HDHR Prime purchase

Assuming that a good chunk of what you want to record is available
without restrictive copy controls.

My experience with Comcast was that pretty much everything I cared
about was copy freely, but I could never get the STB hardware to work
correctly via firewire, resulting in lots of missed or partial
recordings.  When I switched to Verizon, there was a lot more that was
locked down, but for the stuff that wasn't their STB actually worked
properly, and there was enough open that the firewire tuner does get a
lot of use.

On the other hand, Time Warner has a terrible reputation for
restrictive copy controls.

There really is no good (legal) solution here.

Eric