[mythtv-users] Automatic mythfilldatabase execution

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 7 18:50:11 UTC 2011

  On 02/07/2011 01:13 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  On 02/07/2011 08:54 AM, David Watkins wrote:
>>> My first thought is
>>>
>>> man  cron
>>>
>>> or crontab -e as root
>>>
>>> anything I'm missing?
>> I believe if the machine is turned off at the cron sheduled time then
>> mythfilldatabase will not get triggered.
> Not for quite some time:
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4961
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/393155#393155
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/393162#393162
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/393182#393182
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/393196#393196

Sorry to reply to myself, but I now realize David was talking about cron
(likely Vixie cron--definitely not fcron) versus anacron--and was
correct about that distinction.  I misread the message to mean that
mythbackend would not run a mythfilldatabase if the machine was shut
down during one of the run periods (since I read his message after Rob
Smith's suggestion to use mythbackend to run mythfilldatabase)--and
that's no longer true (mythbackend will ensure that mythfilldatabase is
run when the backend is restarted if it missed any mythfilldatabase runs
when shut down).

Mike