[mythtv-users] Asus O'Play Air and mythtv

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Sat Feb 5 14:24:17 UTC 2011

Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 21:56 -0800, Fa wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm starting to look at this for streaming myth-tv to one of our
>>> televisions located in the far part of the house.  I guess what I need
>>> to understand is how an appliance like this works with myth's upnp
>>> server.  Can someone point me to documentation on that subject please?
>>>

>> I know the basic streaming features works with the oplay, mythtv upnp
>> displays the recordings sorted by date or title or some other option.
>> I don't use any advanced features.  It also works on files presented
>> over CIFS through samba.  I didn't know what particularly you wanted
>> to know about it.
>>

>   I wanted to know if it plays well with myth-tv, and any special setup problems
> that I might encounter.
>

>> I liked these small media players so much that I
>> bought a 2nd asus oplay device and also recently tried a western
>> digital media player plus.  However, my first impressions of western
>> digitial's player is not so great.  I didn't like its extremely small
>> remote and the slowness in navigating the menus, however, it does
>> support other internet streaming services like youtube etc... I'll
>> need to use it more before coming to a conclusion though.
>>

>   My hardware pusher mentioned the o'play, in return I mentioned to him about the HDHR,
> which he wants to look into.  :)  Fortunately one place here in Canada has the wireless
> for just over C$160, which is a couple of Sunday shifts.  ;)

I have a Asus HDP-R1 box that connects to a print/file/server + myth BE
which is connected to a dual-tuner HDHR.

It sees the myth box as a UPnP server and I can't notice any difference
between
the playback and the original.
The BE box was actually on it's way to recycle when I thought of it for
this application.
It's just a old sempron whos only claim to fame is that it is quiet and
draws little power.
I almost always have at least one laptop up and running and these are
used to program
the sempbox through mythweb.
I have several other boxes around for when I need some heavy lifting
done and a couple
of these are FE/BE combos.
I had expected that Asus or netflix would have come up with a interop by
now by that does
not seem to be happening, this may be a factor in your choice, but I
expect to fix it by buying a Bluray player some day.
Right now the waters seem to be just to murky and I can't seem to find a
dealer that would be happy to let me try one out on my system.