[mythtv-users] HDPVR problems

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 00:12:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Mark Dryden <renegade8040 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I followed the instructions found at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR and
> everything goes well until I get to the part where you run the command "cat
> /dev/video1 > test.ts".  I get the error message "cat: write error: Bad
> address".  I'm not exactly sure why and I have been trying to figure it out
> for the past 2 days.  I also can't view live tv, it shows up as a black
> screen.  Any suggestions?

Cable loose or not connected at all to both the audio and video connections
enabled.  Remember, when on the command line the ivtv2-ctl command sets
which inputs are being used.  If you're not using those connections, or the
connections are absent or loose, or if a cable is bad, or if *either* audio
or video are missing, the HD-PVR *will not* begin to stream and will throw
the error above.

Robert