[mythtv-users] Recording Playback Length

Taylor Ralph taylor.ralph at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 18:09:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM, john.baab at gmail.com
<john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It has to do with variable frame rates and repeat pictures and the fact that
>> MythTV currently just uses a quick approximation to get the total length of
>> the recording.
>
> 17% difference seems awful high, should I be concerned about a greater
> issue going on behind the scenes?  A quick look at some different
> recordings, seems that the gap is larger for some of my HDHR
> recordings than my HDPVR recordings.

Nothing to be concerned about as this has been an issue for ages with
broadcasters sometime changing their encoders to use repeat flags for
telecined (film-based) shows. This has been resolved in trunk but I
don't have plans to backport it. In relation to the duration fix, I've
also added timestamp based playback position for the OSD. So in the
next release the duration and the playback position should be highly
accurate. It will be as good as any other player in existence.

Regards.
--
Taylor