[mythtv-users] Suddenly flaky firewire

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:41:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have been using firewire as an alternate tuner for clear QAM
> stations accessible via my cablebox, and as a channel changer for the
> same cable box and an HD-PVR. It worked fine until I updated Ubuntu to
> Maverick (10.10). Now, the firewire system seems to be really
> unstable. It keeps "collapsing" during recordings. When that happens,
> I get the following in dmesg:
>
> [280735.091273] firewire_ohci: failed to read phy reg
>
> And after that plugreport shows this:
>

> Host Adapter 0
> ==============
>
> Node 0 GUID 0x0000000000000000
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>
> Node 1 GUID 0x0400000004000000
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>
> The only way I've been able to find to get it back is rebooting. This
> is pretty frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to
> address this?

What distribution and kernel were you running before when things worked?
Which kernel are you running on Ubuntu 10.10 now? Could you give the 'uname
-a' output?
Do you know offhand which firewire controller you have? (Should be able to
find this out by poking around the dmesg from bootup, or using 'lspci'
Do you happen to know if you were previously running the "old" firewire
stack as opposed to the new "juju" stack?  Generally, the new stack seems to
behave better with most firewire devices, but there are always possible
exceptions.  I would hope that Ubuntu 10.10 is using the new stack.
Good luck with the debugging.

-Greg