[mythtv-users] FW: Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 3 13:30:28 UTC 2011

Hi John

Thanks for your assistance.

The history is this.  I had a test installation of MythTv 0.23 that took a
few months to get up and running being a nob and totally new to the
environment making every mistake in the book.  I got it to a situation where
my tuner cards were working, my USB WIFI card was bedded in and stable and
Shepherd was gathering EPG data successfully.  All of these steps took a lot
of effort particularly the WIFI which I lost accidentally with a live
update.  I had a working MythTV environment but only had 140 GB hard Disk in
the system.

Since the Lenova only really holds one disk (small form) I got a new SATA TB
disk to start again with my production  MythTV PVR with space to store
recordings.  My concern was to not start from scratch so I took an image of
the working disk and swapped out the new one and restored and booted to a
working environment.  The new environment had a working 140 Gb partition
with 820 Gb free space.  I used Ubuntu disk manager to format the free space
as a new partition which it created and the system automatically mounted and
was visible in Places as a usable volume.  All good.

I though all I had to do was to tell myth to use the new partition to store
recordings and the path was shown in the file system as /media/Store which
is what I tried to enter into the default storage group.  I read all the
documentation I could find about storage groups and none said anything about
setting up permissions.  I was just typing the a test string path of what I
could see in my file system.  When I finally found it was a simple
permissions issue I was quite surprised that nothing pointed out this step
and quite a few people on this list also provided suggestions without
referring to permission either.  Eventually I read a post suggestion I check
permissions and the need to have the MythTV user assigned.

So you can see from this brief background I never decided to mount my new
partition in media and I can take your advice as correct that this is not a
good place to have it but thats where the system set it up.  I guess this is
what it is like for new user when they are learning.