[mythtv-users] Another BBC HD Audio variance.......

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Feb 3 11:43:19 UTC 2011

On 3 Feb 2011, at 09:26, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> I should warn you that, although BBC HD content all plays fine on my
>>> FE, it does at times run out of memory and kill off the mythfrontend
>>> service. It was completely reliable before I had
>>> HD content. I've taken on a new version today. I'm hoping things might
>>> have improved.
>>
>> I installed the latest v260.19.36 and no change.

I forgot to mention that the newer driver seems to be working ok, no hard locks or flickering screens like I had with the previous v260, well not so far anyway.

>> I did find that it plays fine if I enable ac3 passthrough and the problem consistently re-appears if I untick the ac3 pass though in Audio Settings.
>
> Oh right. That would be why it works here. My AV receiver handles ac3, so I have passthrough enabled. I'll give it a go with it disabled later.

Mine does too, I just got a new AV amp and was trying out bluray and hddvd rip playback now I can do hdmi audio again (previous, just out of guarantee, old amp was throwing a wobbly when hdmi was used) and I guess I left myth set to decode all formats and pass lpcm. Seems it doesn't like some ac3 configurations, or there was some subtle ac3 corruption in that recording!

I did notice that bluray rip playback was slightly better image quality than my PS3 playing the same disk, a very subtle improvement but definite, more true detail visible, the PS3 looked over sharpened by comparison but has detail enhance and sharpening turned off.

Top marks to Myth and Nvidia developers for that.

Andre