[mythtv-users] FW: Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 19:10:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Anthony Rooney <rooneyo at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Nick

STOP top posting please

> I am very surprised to hear that checking a location entered as a directory
> path string could not be compared to a file system namespace that could also
> be represented as a test string or x500 tree structure.  I have always
> assumed that checking for a valid folder was a simple task and quite
> different from testing whether access can be achieved once that folder is
> found to exist.  I assume the pseudo logic to be: - 1st check whether the
> path entered exists within the name space

you need to have access to see if the path exists. If you don't have
permissions, you can't tell if the path exists. Is not a mythtv
problem.

> and if so can it be accessed by
> the account used by MythTv.  They are 2 separate operations.
>
> I take it on face value that this is more problematic in Linux than any
> environment I have work in before and I am pleased that there is a
> possibility that the error message can be altered to point others
> encountering the same issue to look at permissions as a possible solution.
>
> Please also note that there is a difference in a comment complaining about a
> common function as simple as pointing to another valid directory location
> causing considerable troubleshooting effort and a subsequent post to a
> support forum and a personal complaint about the effort of those who
> voluntarily contribute to helping other with support problems.  The effort
> of those helping to provide solutions is most appreciated and has never been
> questioned so it is unfair for anyone to misrepresent frustration with
> software to a personal attack on anyone associated with the project.
> Having worked in software support for more than 9 years and 3 of them in a
> most uncompromising Call Centre environment, we expected frustration from
> end users experiencing problems with software and most of the issues arose
> from poor design and inaccurate documentation.  We never took such feedback
> personally as it could always be captured and feedback to improving the next
> version and was perfectly understandable.
>
> I have seen many people set upon on this list for expressing very valid
> complaint and just because MythTv is free in monetary terms (not time) is no
> excuse for such sensitivity.
>
> You might not like this feedback but it is given in good faith from someone
> who has been on the front line in telephone support with most demanding and
> uncompromising end users.

If you think some of your comments were positive that's your outlook,
but not all of us would think "What an enormous oversight!  Who proof
reads the doco?  Is it tested on COLD
users?  If not why not?  It is a basic requirement of good design  to be
able to be used intuitively - BY COLD USERS.  Are they concerned with good
design?" was entirely polite.