[mythtv-users] Simple HTPC setup recommendations

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 21:42:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM, John Taylor <johntaylor2995 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> What are my other options...build it from scratch? If so how about:
>
> -Core i3 2100 LGA 1155 3.1GHz CPU (using  Intel's HD Graphics 2000 for
> playback)
> -GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Z68 mATX Intel Motherboard
> -WinTV-HVR-2250 as tuner

John,
I would get a low-end Core i3 or i5 like you listed since they have more
horsepower than an Atom CPU.  With your setup, you can still get it to pull
less than 50W.  I know some folks do commercial flagging with an Atom, but
I wouldn't try it.  You can surf to http://www.silentpcreview.com for a
good list of quiet cases, fans, etc.  If you're doing a combined BE/FE,
you'll want it to be quiet since it will probably be near your TV.  I
recommend the Nexus line of fans.  They are super quiet and you can
undervolt them to get them even quieter.

If you have the funds, Silverstone makes nice looking HTPC cases.  I've had
the LC17 for years.  I no longer use it as my combined BE/FE, but it's been
a nice case although it's a tad big.  I bought it since it sorta looks like
a HT device but supports 6 internal disks.

/Brian/