[mythtv-users] Simple HTPC setup recommendations

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Dec 30 04:15:24 UTC 2011

On 11-12-29 10:45 PM, John Taylor wrote:
> I am looking to aquire a HTPC box with the following requirements:
>
> Input: ATSC Digital TV Antenna
> Output: HDMI to LCD or plasma tv
> Functions: Record/watch  digital TV, web browsing capabilities, and watch online streaming content. Should be able to record one channel while watching another(2 tuners) This will be a BE/FE combo for now with possibility of having a second FE in the house.
> Disk: Internal drive. Not much space needed. Enough for my wife to record the usual (e.g. Grey's Anatomy and Desperate HW episodes).
> Quality: Very good to Excellent
> Network: Prefer wireless, but not required
> CD/DVD: not neccessary with ability to install from USB
> OS: not neccessary as I will most likely install Mythtv/mythbuntu
>
> I was looking at a ZOTAC, but I am not sure if there are any models with tuners.

For ATSC tuners, the HVR-950Q USB sticks work well,
and you can plug several of them into the Myth box of your choice.

I like the Zotac Zboxes for Myth, and have set up many of them
(all cloned from a common ancestor) for my friends and acquaintances.

But.. for online video, you may (or not) need more computing horsepower.
Dunno.. haven't used it here with myth.