[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting mceusb remote & Lirc

john rwc at bestpond.com
Fri Dec 30 01:30:43 UTC 2011

I had need to replace the main frontend hardware after a few intermittent
power issues . The system consists of a main FE/BE and 2 slave B/E

The new system is up & running based on  SuSE 12.1 with the latest mythtv
(v24.1) prebuilt on packman for suse. Kernel is 3.1.0-1.2-desktop, and I have
installed lirc-0.9.0-1.2.x86_64.  This is a slave B/E and runs the main
frontend connected to my plasma widescreen and sound system.

I am aware that recent changes with Lirc led to mceusb driver being included
in the later kernels  and mceusb is loaded OK.

I have copied the devinput remote file to lircd.conf and setup my lirc device
using the device-by-id setting for the receiver.

My lircrc file was working OK on my earlier setup with both my hauppage mce
remote, and a logitech harmony 525 which was also setup.

If I run evtest /dev/input/event5 I get the list of devinput key settings, and
pressing the remote keys gives me all the key settings in tha same way that
occurred before.

I am not too sure of the how to use irw and when I have attempted to get a
response from the remote I seem to only get a few odd characters eg: ^[B B on
the one line.

If I run mythfrontend and try either remote (mceusb hauppage, or harmony 525)
the only keys to work ar the up,down,right,left arrow keys. Wheras using
evtest as mentioned above I get the output with correct Key entries.

It seems that the lircrc file is just not being read. I can however use a usb
keyboard for all the myth functions and that works OK, just not   the
preferred device!

I would appreciate any advice on resolving this issue, tests to try etc, or
any specific info that may help me get it working. Probably a quick checklist
would assist getting to this glitch in my setup.

I am at a point where I cannot see the wood for the trees, and suspect it is
probably a simple fix that is "blindingly obvious"

I am thinking of finding a late version mceusb lircrc and building from that a
newlircrc with limited keys to test if that will work, any ideas that may help
will be very much appreciated.

Seasons greetings to all, and May it be a  healthy and happy New Year.

_
John